Tune in as I give some examples from my personal life where things went sour while I didn’t have the tools to set boundaries with loved ones. Learn from my mistakes along with some helpful tips & resources that will help guide you in the direction of setting your own much-needed boundaries to protect your mental well-being.
Setting Boundaries 101:
- Have a plan: Instead of attempting to have an important conversation about boundaries in the heat-of-the-moment, take some time to cool off and choose to come back to this conversation later. Give yourself ample time to think about what you need to say and how to convey your needs in an appropriate manner.
- Write it out: When we write things out, we find more clarity in our thoughts. Brene Brown has written and spoken about this many, many times and trust me from experience – it really does help.
- Meet Face-to-Face: Avoid sending a text or even having a conversation of such importance over the phone. Together, decide on a time to meet in person or FaceTime if needed – just be sure you’re able to see the expressions and read the body language of the other person.
- Focus on yourself: During the conversation, choose to focus on yourself by using lots of phrases like “I need time for myself…”, “I do not have time in my schedule for this” ,“I am not comfortable with this”, etc. and avoid using phrases that put the blame on the other person such as “I dislike when you do this…”, “you make me feel…xyz”, “you do this too much..”, etc.
- For more information on the importance of setting boundaries, check out this article written by Road To Growth Counseling.
- Need some help learning how to say no to others? Check out this article found on Very Well Mind‘s website.
- In case you haven’t read it yet, be sure to grab yourself a copy of Boundaries: When to Say Yes, How to Say No to Take Control of Your Life by Henry Cloud. 10/10 recommend that you read this book 😉
- Don’t forget to check out @distressedtojoyful_baileysway on Instagram or join the Facebook Community to stay up-to-date with all things related to the show.
Until next time… Take it easy, stay grateful & be joyful!
Hungry for more? Check out some of the other episodes from Season 2!